On 25 Dec 2013, at 8:54am, Tobias Steinmann <tobias.steinm...@gmx.de> wrote:

> thanks for your hint. I needed some time to figure out, how to use this
> mailing-list and I hope, you will get my answer.
>
> I tried the same im MySQL and it worked -- I know, that is no reason I just
> wanted to say.
>
> I also tried, to rename one of the depth's to depth1 -- and then it also
> worked in SQLite so thanks for the hint.

No problem.  An easy mistake to make.  And since you got your answer, you are
using this mailing list well.

> > Argh. An example where doing the work in your software rather
> > than a huge SQL statement might be more understandable,
> > both in your debugging and if anyone else ever has to read
> > your code. Another way to simplify things might be to
> > define your sub-select as a VIEW.
>
> This comment of your I did not understand what you mean, maybe because of my
> bad english? Sorry. If I got you right, you suggested not to use such big
> SQL-Statements? I see that they are not ideally to debug but on the other
> hand I also dont understand, why I should make thinks simpler just to have
> afterwards some things to do in my program? I thought, the SQL-System might
> be faster in data-filtering than my application...?

Sorry.  It was nothing personal.  I have made that comment many times to many
people.

Your SELECT was extremely complicated because you had to phrase your
requirements in SQL.  Sometimes doing the same work in your programming
language leads to simpler code -- code which is easier to debug and sometimes
even runs faster.  Because a programming language can do things differently.
But sometimes it doesn't, and the SQL phrasing is as good as you can get.

Don't worry about it.  Just something that annoys me personally.

Simon.