On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 5:57 PM, Tim Streater <t...@clothears.org.uk> wrote:

> complete in a browser window, which data is then gathered up and sent
> using ajax to be processed by a PHP script, which writes it to an sqlite
> db. The user complains that some of this data doesn't make it, so I want to
> pin down where in the chain this might be failing. Hence my Q.

FWIW, i have seen a similar problem in a legacy app which uses latin1
encoding in the DB. Latin1 doesn't always survive round-trip through PHP's
JSON APIs. My case was similar to yours, and we eventually determined that
the fields which got "lost" (set to null or empty values) were those which
came out of the latin1-encoded MySQL db containing invalid UTF8 characters
- the whole values were getting dropped upon transforming to JSON.

TL;DR: double-check all encodings.

--
----- stephan beal
http://wanderinghorse.net/home/stephan/