Jan Nijtmans wrote, in part, re Cygwin :
*> *bare filenames are NOT expected to be found in the current directory

This makes Cygwin unique among all operating systems with which I am
familiar having support for hierarchical filesystems.  Most importantly, if
true, it would differ from Unixen.  I suggest that, in fact, bare
filenames, (names without any prepended directory path components), ARE
expected to be found in "the current directory" as that is known to any
process.  This is the way Unix has worked forever, and the way its
derivatives and inspirees all work.  Any other behavior will come as a
great surprise to most people.