On 7 Apr 2014, at 1:31am, Larry Brasfield <larry_brasfi...@iinet.com> wrote:

> Quoting me, Simon Slavin writes:
>
>> Good idea for the function to create a file.  However, to conform closer to
>> expectations of how SQL works, had you thought of creating a SQLite function
>> which accepted a filename as a parameter and returned the contents of the
>> file as the appropriate hex string ?  It could, of course, use significant
>> memory if you tried to use it with a long file.
>
> I wanted a solution which would work well with use of the shell in shell
> scripts, and I liked the streaming provision of SQLite's C API which allows
> very large BLOBs to be transferred without creating large, in-memory objects.
>  So my shell enhancement exploits the streaming API, using only a few pages
> of memory.
>
> I sort of like your approach, and maybe there is a way to get the best of
> your's and mine.  Any ideas?

The problem of creating large in-memory objects makes this difficult.  I can
see why you took the approach you did.  Also, you're thinking about modding the
shell tool and I'm thinking about adding external functions to the engine.  I
can't think of any way to do what you did in SQLite itself without rewriting
some stuff which I don't understand.

Simon.