Simon Slavin wrote:
> On 28 Apr 2014, at 11:11pm, RSmith <rsm...@rsweb.co.za> wrote:
>
>> Second approach is better when you rarely access the database, also it will
>> make sure releases happen (or at least provide immediate errors if not), but
>> keeping a connection open is much better when hundreds of accesses happen in
>> terms of speed - especially loads of small queries, large queries won't
>> matter either way.
>
> I add two other reasons to Ryan's: if you are extremely short of memory (for
> example in a tiny low-power device) or if your file system lacks proper
> flushing because although flush() is documented in reality it does nothing.

s/flush/sync/.
However, I don't see just how closing/opening db will make it any better.
Database/journal is written and synced at transaction end, not at "connection"
close.

> But as others are saying, on a desktop/laptop computer your only result will
> be to slow things down.

Yep. Also, if you keep connection open, you can save some time on
keeping/caching prepared statements (you must finalize all statements before you
close "connection")