> Can someone tell me what an appropriate use for REPLACE is?

Replace might be used if you had a user_permission_info table, and were
editing things about the user like maybe lastname/staffID ... password...
but then with replace you MUST reference all unique keys...but basicallly
the user is still the same user; not a new guitar

If you have constraints between your tables (like cascade on delete) then
deleting a guitar entry would remove its related entirs in other tables
referencing that same ID.

But ya I agree, generally it is a more robust solution to use     if
'update' fails, then insert;

-Bill