Hi,
You can test it in different way.
Some help can be found directly inside (Luke, use the source :-))
test_vfstrace.c or in test_demovfs.c. Anyway,

High level testing:
1. Compile and link your own vfs implementation with shell.c sqlite3.c and
also with test_vfstrace.c provided here:
http://www.sqlite.org/vfs.html
2. use -vfs option to switch to your vfs implementation or directly
register it as your default.

The 'shim' test_vfstrace.c will log all the your vfs functions calls. This
is a rough manual test which can help you can start with.

FURTHER TESTS:
1. compile and link sqlite3 and shell with your vfs registering it as
default vfs.

2. Launch the tcl tests provided if you have tcl on your platform.
On last point, I'm not sure whether you do not have to change something in
tcl test suite.

Hope this could help,
Let me know if it works in your case.

Thx,