Simon Slavin <slav...@bigfraud.org> wrote:

> On 16 Jun 2014, at 9:03pm, c...@isbd.net wrote:
> >
> > Remember - I said I'm doing an INSERT, either it will insert the
> > intended data or there will be an error.
>
> But there are two types of error: the INSERT command may turn out to be
> invalid (accidentally including a quote character or an unexpected semicolon)
> or the INSERT command may be legitimate but the INSERT may violate a
> constraint.
> And it may be useful to know what type of error occurred.

This is a script that's going to be run once an hour by a cron job.
Apart from the debugging stage there won't be any syntax errors.

So, hopefully, any error will be some sort of data or system quirk
that stops it working.  All I want to know (in the script at least) is
whether the data has been written by the INSERT, if it hasn't (i.e.
the script sees an error) then the source data isn't deleted and I get
an E-Mail from cron telling me something went wrong.

--
Chris Green
ยท