From: J Decker
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2014 3:45 AM
To: General Discussion of SQLite Database
Subject: Re: [sqlite] Suggestion for SHELL impovement (built-in scripting)

Stored procedures....

variables, a goto(jump/branch) and a conditional so loops can be made;

On the topic of shell results; isn't there a result value of like number of
records inserted ? So something like var a = insert... select $a; and then
test the output sort of?

went searching cause I really ended up avoiding stored procedures because
of the lack of consistency.... I don't think SQL standard defines such
things... what I saw was very linear  top-down sort of things, which makes
querying a recursive heirarchical table kinda hard to do in a stored
procedure.... but I guess I was wrong; but they are all different.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/flow-control-statements.html  (mysql
does have loop constructs)
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms180796(v=sql.105).aspx ( flow
control in M$ SQL  [tsql])

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQL#Procedural_extensions (standard?) ya ...
almost as many flavors of this as there are databases.  sad.