Sorry, I wasn't clear: I have 64 bit R and Windows, but since there are no
64 bit binaries for SQLite I started with 32 bit SQLite.

So now I'm wondering if I could fix this memory problem by installing the
64-bit version of SQLite.

(I know that this wouldn't fix the problem in postgres, for example,
because they never updated the addressing code when they built a 64bit
version -- a lesson I learned the hard way. )