On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 10:25 AM, Hick Gunter <h...@scigames.at> wrote:
> "fred" is only known if your select statement references only that one table
> and the value is supplied as a literal.

Known to whom? AFAIK, even in that case,
http://www.sqlite.org/vtab.html#xbestindex does not know about 'fred'.

Which field of struct sqlite3_index_info would 'fred' be available
from? aConstraint.iTermOffset which is internal to SQLite?

All I'm saying is that vtables would have the opportunity to report
correct/better estimates if the right-hand-sides of constraints, when
they are literals or bind values (i.e. bind peeking), were available
to xBestIndex. I don't know what that entails, but I'm making it known
to SQLite devs, just in case, in the hope it might become available in
the future, even if only in a reduced capacity like the
single-table-with-literal use case you mentioned Hick. Thanks, --DD