Steve Rogers wrote:

> So I just want to build one input screen for the saw in .NET 2.0 and the
> rest of the complex operation gets done in programs on the computers
> that run .NET 4.0.
>
> So my question is only a development machine question.

Ok.  So, on the development machine, do you need to make use of the Visual
Studio design-time components (e.g. the visual table designer, etc)?  If
not, there is [basically] no need to install the setup package.

> Can the two versions exist in a VS 2010 development environment on the
> same machine?
> I hope I have clarified that important detail.

I'm not sure as I've never tested that setup.  I do know that only the
setup package for Visual Studio 2010 (which uses the .NET Framework 4)
will allow it to actually make use of the design-time components for
System.Data.SQLite.

For your particular situation, quite a lot depends on whether or not
you need the design-time support for SQLite.

If you don't, you gain a lot more flexibility for testing and deployment
(i.e. you can use the .NET Framework 2.0 version of System.Data.SQLite
application locally with any version of the framework).

It is somewhat more complex to accomplish this if you need design-time
support.

More details on the best practices for application local deployment can
be found here:

https://system.data.sqlite.org/index.html/doc/trunk/www/downloads.wiki

On the above linked page, the "Using Native Library Pre-Loading" and
"Deployment Guidelines" sections merit special attention.

--
Joe Mistachkin