OK that's what I figured.

My application presently does all the DB operations on the main thread. But
once a day I need it do the player leaderboards, which could be 500K players
or so, hence several minutes. I can't have the main thread blocking for any
significant length of time - a second or so at most. Hence my desire to do
that one long operation in a separate thread and not have other DB writes
block.

I don't suppose temporary tables would make any difference? I.e. use a
temporary table for the LB results. Would that allow concurrent writes? (to
temporary table, and to normal table, from different threads).

What about using 2 databases?

Cheers