On 30 Jul 2014, at 1:47am, Will Fong <w...@digitaldev.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 8:38 AM, Simon Slavin <slav...@bigfraud.org> wrote:
>> Store their timezones in the format "[+-]HH:MM" and apply them by appending
>> that text to any dates they provide.  See the "Time Strings" section of
>
> I can store each user's timezone setting as "[+-]HH:MM".  But I can
> only apply that to GMT values.

The SQLite routines will apply those timezones to any times.  You just append
them to the time string you supply to the routines.

> So when I'm reading from the database,
> it's a trivial operation.
>
> However, if a user specifies a datetime, I would have to provide the
> reverse of that value to convert the user time into GMT. It would be a
> bit easier (yet still messy) if the timezone was just an integer, then
> I could just "*-1". But the ":MM" seems to make it a messy string
> operation.
>
> Is this the only option? It seems like there would have been a
> "better" way to handle this.

I would probably write a library routine which converted the zone in the form
the user supplies it (+3, -9, GMT, +0, whatever) to the form I wanted it
"[+-]HH:MM", and I'd store both of them  /and/ a copy of "[+-]HH:MM" with the
sign reversed.

Alternatively, you can provide your users with a popup, but deduce all three
forms from whatever value they picked in the popup.

Simon.