The sample database was produced by a version of my software which runs the
previous (or even an older version of SQLite).

My software runs an Analysis as part of a weekly database maintenance
procedure. But the users can turn this off or delay it for weeks. Various
versions of my software are in use, and each version links against a different
version of SQLite. Not all users keep up with upgrades, or skip some of the
monthly updates...

When I understand you correctly, I should/must run an ANALYSIS on existing
databases after shipping a new version of SQLite with my application? In case
the statistics data in existing databases causes the updated optimizer to
choose slower execution paths? This can be arranged.