On 22 Aug 2014, at 7:08pm, Sherry Ummen <sherry.um...@napa.fi> wrote:

>   We have been trying out couchbase lite which uses sqlite underneath.
>
> I want to know how safe is use
> PRAGMA synchronous = OFF");
> "PRAGMA journal_mode = MEMORY"
>
> I have been suggested not to use it but then its soo dangerous then why is it
> thr in first place?
>
> It says the databse might get corrupted so corrupted meaning it cannot be
> fixed?

This combination of commands allows you to make changes to a SQLite database
extremely quickly.  However, if your computer suffers a hardware fault or loses
power while a change is being made to the database, the database file may be
corrupted so badly that you cannot recover any information from it, even data
which was entered in previous sessions.

So you can use that combination of PRAGMAs for temporary processing -- perhaps
reading in a text file and producing some statistics from it.  But you should
not use it for any database which is used for /keeping/ valuable information,
or for any information that would need reconstruction by a human.

For safe and fast use of a SQLite database avoid PRAGMAs and concentrate on
efficient use of transactions.

Simon.