​When I start sqlite double clicking the icon in the Mac Applications
folder:

Last login: Wed Sep  3 10:13:32 on ttys000

HEPTAGON-GROUP-SAS:~ carlosgorricho$ /Applications/sqlite3 ; exit;

SQLite version 3.8.5 2014-06-04 14:06:34

Enter ".help" for usage hints.

Connected to a *transient in-memory database*.

sqlite>

​
When starting sqlite on a Terminal Window:

Last login: Wed Sep  3 10:11:42 on ttys002

HEPTAGON-GROUP-SAS:~ carlosgorricho$ sqlite3

SQLite version 3.7.13 2012-07-17 17:46:21

Enter ".help" for instructions

Enter SQL statements terminated with a ";"

sqlite>

I downloaded the only precompile binary currently available for Mac in
www.sqlite.org website.

To perform the job described earlier, I run the Terminal version in batch
mode. That is, I created a script file with all the .commands to upload de
CSV file, and ran it on a new database:

$ sqlite3 newDB.db < my_script_file

When I got the tab1 error message, I reverted to performing the job from
inside the database, creating first the table and then uploading the data.
The result was the huge single-record-field DB I shared earlier.

I would venture to say I did this from the Terminal sqlite version, but I
am not certain...

Thanks in advance for your comments and guidance. Please let me know if I
can do anything to help you in other fronts.

Saludos/Cheers,

*CARLOS A. GORRICHO*
Managing Partner
Heptagon Group S.A.S.