Thanks Ryan. That doesn't work for me though as I am looking for a generic
solution that will work on multiple tables - so no hard coding of column
definitions :(

I think I am getting there

On 16 September 2014 15:38, RSmith <rsm...@rsweb.co.za> wrote:

> On 2014/09/16 15:32, Paul Sanderson wrote:
>
>> select _rowid_, * from tab3 does the trick - thanks all
>>

> Indeed, and if you are pedantic or do not work in a table with rowids, the
> solution is to explicitly give the table definition then fill it, some
> variation on this:
>
> CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE tab3 (rowNo INTEGER PRIMARY KEY AUTOINCREMENT, name
> TEXT, country TEXT);
> INSERT INTO tab3 (name, country) SELECT N.name, C.country FROM tab1 N,
> tab2 C;
>
> tab 3 should now look like this (according to your sample tables):
> rowNo|   name   |   country
>     1     |  paul       | uk
>     2     |  paul       | scotland
>     3     |  helen     | uk
>     4     |  helen     | scotland
>     5     |  melanie | uk
>     6     |  melanie | scotland
>

> NOTE:
> In-case you are not familiar with it - That insert omits the rowNo and can
> be thought of as a variation of this query which achieves the same:
> INSERT INTO tab3 (rowNo, name, country) SELECT NULL, N.name, C.country
> FROM tab1 N, tab2 C;
>

> Hope that widens your SQL arsenal another micron, Cheers!
> Ryan

Paul
www.sandersonforensics.com
skype: r3scue193
twitter: @sandersonforens
Tel +44 (0)1326 572786+44 (0)1326 572786+44 (0)1326 572786+44 (0)1326 572786
http://sandersonforensics.com/forum/content.php?190-SQLite-Recovery -
Deleted SQLite recovery
http://sandersonforensics.com/forum/content.php?168-Reconnoitre - VSC
processing made easy