Mark Lawrence <no...@null.net> wrote:
> On Wed Oct 01, 2014 at 09:50:16AM +0100, c...@isbd.net wrote:
> > >
> > Linux (xubuntu),
> > in this case I need a command line utility.
>
> You may be interested in the db-browser *terminal application*
> available from CPAN:
>
>     https://metacpan.org/pod/distribution/App-DBBrowser/bin/db-browser
>
> It can be installed as follows:
>
>     sudo cpan App::DBBrowser
>
> After which the "db-browser" script should be in your path:
>
>     db-browser -s $DIRECTORY_CONTAINING_SQLITE_DATABASE

Thanks, that looks something like what I'm after.  However what the
chances are of installing it successfully on a Beaglebone Black I
don't know!  I'm currently installing it on my desktop machine to try
(quad core, 8Gb memory, loads of disk) and it appears to be installing
and compiling half of the world! On a lowly BBB with 512k memory and
only 4Gb disk in total I think it might be a bit slow.

... and on my desktop, now it's built it doesn't seem to work anyway.

On doing:-
    db-browser -s .

in a directory that contains sqlite3 databases it lists every file in
the hierarchy (why, there are thousands) and then fails with:-

    Ended searching
    Available databases:
    Can't locate object method "new" via package "JSON::XS" at
    /usr/local/share/perl/5.18.2/App/DBBrowser/Opt.pm line 797.

It sounds as if db-browser could be useful but the user interface is a
little quirky!

--
Chris Green
ยท