On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 10:44 AM, Hick Gunter <h...@scigames.at> wrote:

> How about always referencing all tables via attached db names? That way,
> "main" is never referenced, neither explicitly nor implicitly, and is
> therefore never locked.

It's looking more and more as if that's what we'll have to do, but i really
wanted to avoid that because...

- Paying for N+1 db handles instead of the N handles we're really using.

- TEMP tables get created in the MAIN db (assuming my memory of the docs is
correct), which means we can (though accidental misuse or carelessness) end
up filling up RAM with temporary tables (which we use regularly to process
large data amounts). This is my biggest concern with this approach.

Opening a "dummy main" DB in the filesystem isn't a viable option - this is
library-level code for which we don't have a directory/location which
"belongs to us" which we can pollute with temp DBs (other than $TEMP/$TMP,
of course, but opening a db there as a main db would be a horribly ugly
kludge).

@Dave: i'll research what the side effects of such a change would be.
(It'll likely break more docs than code.) In the mean time, i think the
workaround is to simply leave off the db names (since we know we don't have
table name collisions).

--
----- stephan beal
http://wanderinghorse.net/home/stephan/