I'm sure either #1 or #3 happens already.  I know I've been nagged about
ambiguous field names, but I also know that somewhere I've seen _1 or _2 be
appended to field names (That might be just the SQL IDE I use doing that).

I can't get on board with #2 because most wrappers only look at the first
value, or, would overwrite "SalesTotal" with whatever the last column has
the name SalesTotal.  The wrapper I use in Delphi uses both named field
arrays (IE: tbl.FieldByName['SalesTotal']) as well as field numbers (IE:
tbl.FieldByID[1]) but I try to use the field names since the order of the
field names COULD change.