On 2015-12-21 8:25 AM, Petite Abeille wrote:
>> On Dec 21, 2015, at 4:08 AM, Darren Duncan <darren at darrenduncan.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> If you want that feature, instead do it the better way that Postgres 9.5
>> did, which is as an extension to the INSERT statement in the form "ON
>> CONFLICT DO UPDATE/IGNORE?.
>
> Please, enough of the comic act :P
>
> MERGE it is.

Comic act?  Do you consider the MERGE defined in the SQL standard to be a
better
designed feature than Postgres' alternative, or do you prefer the former soley
because it is in the SQL standard?  I recall that Postgres went with their
brand-new alternative because it was a better design, more useable in practice;
both simpler and more powerful, easier to express the user's intent and not
have
arbitrary limitations. -- Darren Duncan