So now that I have the added complexity of my own vfs in which to make a
sqlite vfs... I'm having some issues.

Hmm...
One of the first things I do is 'pragma journal_mode=WAL'
I return sqlite_ok; but the result has 0 columns, whereas my command line
tool returns a column 'journal_mode' and a row 'WAL'..

is WAL somehow dependant on the VFS?

I was just going to note, that although I'm setting wall, and it does 3
probes to see if the wal file exists... and probes a lot actually - though
I guess it's assuming other processes are going to be manipulating the
file? (is there a compile option to disable that, and assume it's the only
one with access to the database?)

It never created a -wal file... it does use a temp file once when I
start... and I guess NULL to the open is expecting a unique file every time
the open method of the vfs is called?

it does create a -journal file.. (and deletes) so I guess it's normal mode
is working....