On Jul 11, 2015 7:11 PM, "Simon Slavin" <slavins at bigfraud.org> wrote:

> On 12 Jul 2015, at 2:02am, Scott Robison <scott at casaderobison.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm just saying that knowing which index to create in advance is
impossible
> > if the user can specify arbitrarily complex where clauses.
>
> You don't do that.  You create a few indexes in advance based on the
search combinations users are likely to do most frequently.  Then you do
ANALYZE.  SQLite will use those indexes to help those searches and
combinations of them to help other searches.

If you can know that, great. I'm just taking him at his word that arbitrary
complexity could result in table scans which are unacceptable.