On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 8:17 PM, Luuk <luuk34 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 30-7-2015 20:07, Richard Hipp wrote:
>
>> On 7/30/15, Sylvain Pointeau <sylvain.pointeau at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I understood from the mailing list, that CSV is not a defined format,
>>> then
>>> let's propose another format, well defined, the Excel one (which is in my
>>> experience a format to is good every time I had to exchange CSV files).
>>>
>>> Then why don't you propose an import of CSV from Excel (or similar)?
>>> csv(excel)
>>>
>>> is it possible? in a lot of cases, I cannot use sqlite (executable)
>>> because
>>> of the lack of a good CSV import. It would really great if this could be
>>> addressed.
>>>

>> An Excel-to-SQLite converter utility sounds like it would be a great
>> open-source project.  Why don't you start it up?
>>

> +1
>
> Except for the fact that "CSV is not a defined format"......
>
> It's not a defined format because:
> 1) CSV is an acornym for 'Comma Separated Values'
>
> 2) There are countries in the world which use a comma ',' as a decimal
> separator
>
> 3) Excel (or Microsoft) decided to use the ';' as a separator in case the
> decimal separator is a ','

for instance, in H2, the CSV reader works wonderfully well.
we can define in H2, but also in sqlite the column separator.

Well as I said, CSV might not be a defined format, but it is probably not
the excuse to not import it correctly. For now in sqlite, quoted text stays
quoted after the import. How do you want us to work correctly with this
result? honestly.

Best regards,
Sylvain