On 2015-06-04 03:04, Darko Volaric wrote:
> Regarding PgSQL, an advantage of encoding your own binary types is that you
> can copy them straight into your code and execute with them directly - I
> use the same encoding/data structures throughout and they serve my code and
> requirements instead of the database's or its API.

That will only work if the data serialization format of a software is
the same its your in-memory representation. Most likely you will have to
deal with endianness and related issues. It is also a more general
problem of "zero-copy" serialization formats.

Text has its advantages and disadvantages of course. For my purpose a
text format with a regular grammar is an acceptable format in terms of
storage efficiency and serialization and deserialization performance.

- Matthias-Christian