If you can .dump it, can you also use .read to restore it? And if so, how
damaged does it appear to be?

My databases, with a corrupt index, couldn't be restored directly, but
the duplicate entries could be seen, cleaned up, and then the restore
succeeded.  Or (more conveniently) remove the index creation from the
.dump, restore, use queries to find and remove duplicates, then reinstate
the index.

My thinking is that the kind of corruption I've had should at least
be a different error code, and that a pragma to drop the index could
allow repair without the extreme of dumping and editing the dump file.