R.Smith wrote:

> On 2015-03-16 12:49 AM, javaj1811 at elxala.com wrote:
>> Hi Joe,
>>
>> good point, I've tested the fail scenario having the database located
>> in a NTFS disk with the result of NO FAIL!!!
>> so the insertion was done without sqlite error.
>> now the problem seems to be reduced to Windows and FAT32 (and maybe
>> FAT) drives
>> could you tell me why did you suspect about the drive type ?
>
> You do know what the "32" in FAT32 means right?  For all intents and
> purposes, in a FAT32 system, that disk might actually be full. Maximum
> size for a FAT32 disk used to be 32GB but there are some programs
> available which can write a FAT32 allocation table with 512 byte
> sectors up to about ~2TB - which I'm hoping is the case for you - but
> more likely you are hitting the upper bound at 32GB. Even if you did
> manage to extend the partition beyond 32GB, the maximum file size will
> be 1 byte shy of 4GB. If you exceed any of these hard limits, you will
> get a disk-full error (correctly because in a FAT32 universe, that
> disk or file is in fact "Full").
>
> Btw, FAT32 must be the near worst file system ever used in history
> (and I'm not blaming Microsoft, they had to try to come up with
> "something" that could be backward compatible with FAT16 and provide
> larger storage, but in normal use it is atrocious).  Is there a reason
> you need to use it?

Ok, the limit of 4GB for a file in FAT32 seems to be the cause of the
problem, I didn't realize it since until now
I never needed such big files in my home computer and also get confused
by the error message (definitively not disk full but file full).

answering your question
 >>> Is there a reason you need to use it?
The disk was already formatted with FAT32 when I bought it some years
ago. And indeed is the most reliable
external drive disk that I have in the last years but now I've learned
that is not appropiate for my big sqlite databases!

thank you for your feedback!