On Mar 21, 2015 1:43 PM, "James K. Lowden" <jklowden at schemamania.org> wrote:

> The query optimizer has to be sophisticated enough to recognize
> those conditions, which is unlikely in the case of a temporary table.

Are temporary tables really that different? Other than being dropped
automatically at the end of a session, I was under the impression they were
just another table. Proper indexing would be key to performance of course,
as you indicated.

Also, is there a limit on the size of in? By which I mean, there is a limit
on the size of the query text, but if you use "colx in (select coly from
taby)" the table size should not have an arbitrary limit. As long as it is
indexed properly, it should be performant.

SDR