I noticed there was talk in the other thread of including FTS5 support in the
amalgamation. That would be great and it seems like that might solve my
problem. Is that correct?

Also, I noticed what may be a couple typos in the FTS5 documentation at
https://www.sqlite.org/fts5.html.
In the external content table section, the example states:
CREATE TABLE fts USING fts5(a, c, content=tbl, content_rowid=d);
I think it should be CREATE VIRTUAL TABLE instead of CREATE TABLE.

Also, in the overview section, the text says:
The expression to the right of the MATCH operator must be the nameof the FTS5
table. The expression on the left must be a text value specifyingthe term to
search for.I think the right and left's are backwards.