On 18 Oct 2015, at 12:19pm, Clemens Ladisch <clemens at ladisch.de> wrote:

> Stephan Beal wrote:
>> It didn't appear to come directly from the list - i suspect someone is
>> scraping the ML archives.
>
> As far as I can see, the archives do not show the senders' actual email
> addresses.

Nor does nabble (hawk spit).

Also, now it has got going I'm getting one piece of spam for every message I
send to the list.  Which suggests it's monitoring mail in realtime rather than
scraping an archive.

> I think it is more likely that someone is scraping somebody's mailbox.

Yeah, someone has malware which is (among other things) reading their email.

> This would be impossible to trace without putting a unique ID for the
> receiver into the subject line of each message sent through the list ...

Good idea, though the problem will probably go away before it gets implemented.

Simon.