Hello !
>  I really wish there was a way for me to fix this historical
> permissiveness in SQLite without breaking millions of (miscoded)
> iPhone/Android apps. I'd do so if I could.
> --
>
>  ?

What about the warning messages to stderr through sqlite3 when opening
databases with invalid sql constructions, this way we can gradually have less
and less code written in a non compliant way.

>sqlite3

sqlite>SELECT a+b AS x FROM (select 4 as a, 5 as b) WHERE x=99;

-- warning aliases are not supposed to be used on where clauses

-- historical mistake of sqlite to accept it

-- please rewrite your code in a compliant way, sqlite can stop support this
at any time

?

Cheers !