That's not an SQLitespeed feature but indeed a backwards-compatible
SQLite feature. (I had this wrong too at some point)

You probably already know, but to be clear: In SQL standard,
double-quotes indicate identifiers and single quotes indicate string values.
While the single quotes are used more or less universally, identifiers
often get quoted differently.
In Postgres and SQLite the standard is adhered to with Double quotes.
MySQL uses a back-tick like this ` (which, by the way, will also work in
SQLite due the same backward compatibility)
MSSQL likes the square brackets [ and ] around identifiers (which,
again, also works in SQLite for the same reason)

Further to this, in earlier MySQL and in SQLite you may also use double
quotes to denote strings, and it will regard a double-quoted value to be
a string if A - it isn't an identifier, or B - used in a place where you
can't use an identifier. (You can just imagine the bugs in your SQL that
can arise from this!)

While all of the above works, you are strongly encouraged to simply do
it correctly and use double-quotes for identifiers and single quotes for
strings.

We have been lobbying for a strict-mode in SQLite where none of these
shenanigans are allowed - but that is far easier said than done.