On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 10:54 AM, R Smith <rsmith at rsweb.co.za> wrote:

> I can't agree more - and to add, while I can sympathize with the point, I
> absolutely love SQLite, but the amount of projects I have made without
> SQLite far outweighs those containing it (on all platforms). I would like
> it to remain optional everywhere.

Acceptable.  I'm not saying it should be a requirement to include it in the
language core.  A simple INCLUDE or whatever relevant should be available
by the language developers that allows for a basic interface to the SQLite
library, be it relying on the external DLL/SO or get it embedded.  But
having that INCLUDE or USES should be at the language side of things, not
SQLite.  SQLite should not cater to every language out there, regardless of
size and use.  It should be the languages that obey the laws and rules and
integration methodologies provided by SQLite.  *OF COURSE* Dr Hipp and
others should listen to what the community has to say about the interfaces,
and they should also pay attention to what kinds of integrations and
methodologies of different techs are out there, and consider if it is
viable and worth while to get implemented into the core of SQLite.  But
because "R" has an oddball connection methodology (Or whatever the wishlist
had), it shouldn't mean that other languages should now start working the
way "R" wants it to be done.

> Speaking of Delphi specifically (as the OP mentions, and which I do use),
> I have simply a unit that links the DLL, and another that maintains an
> object that does all data handling. It's the simplest solution - Sure I
> need to add the "sqlite3.dll" file to my installers and updaters, but I get
> a free upgrade by just dropping in the new DLL when it arrives - no need to
> recompile or re-setup or anything. (Likewise for iOS / Mac OSX, but Linux
> projects [freepascal / Lazarus] are more tricky in this regard - probably
> only due to my limited knowledge, I'm sure someone somewhere made stuff for
> it).

Half a mind to devil-advocate this, but, I just wanna go play games!
{chuckle}

> I'm quite willing to share any of the delphi libraries and objects if
> anyone is interested (best mail me off-list) - they can be seen in action
> if need be by simply peeking at sqlitespeed from
> http://www.sqlc.rifin.co.za

BM'd for later viewing.  Got Creepers and Skeletons to kill.