On Sat, 05 Mar 2016 17:16:52 -0700
"Keith Medcalf" <kmedcalf at dessus.com> wrote:

> > Sometimes it's faster to recompute something than to cache it for
> > later re-use. That's rare where I/O is involved, and vanishing rare
> > where SQL is involved.
>
> The only thing worse is retrieving the entire result set and cacheing
> the whole think in the gooey structures.  Those wheels fall off the
> bus much sooner.

You make me feel like the 8th grade teacher who complains she teaches
the same stuff every year, but the kids never get any smarter.

I truthfully don't come across the classic client-side join of two
"select * from T" queries anymore.  I'm sure it happens, though.  Very
few shops include a team of SQL experts (or expert) whose mandate
is to design tables and queries in the service of the applications.
Costs of that shortsightedness are easy to cite if you know where to
look, but are not to be found in the salary and delivery schedules that
management usually pays attention to.

--jkl