Clemens,

We have 8GB of memory which is the most our VPS provider allows. We?d
like 32GB but its not an option for us. Our desktops have more than
that, but the VPS provider is reasonably priced :)

We hadn?t considered the WAL mode, my conclusion is that a simple
change to our workflow is actually simpler, we stop the database updates
for 15 mins out of hours, cp and then restart. Its not ideal but we?re
not running a nuclear power station or a 24/7 medical facility. Users
*may* not get traffic updates for 15 mins at 03:00 in the morning. The
world will keep spinning.

Rob