True.  Depending on the data sensitivity (Say a phone book) the restriction
may be to allow or deny access to modifying phone numbers, changing names,
or what have you.  It may all be 'public knowledge' within the domain of
who has access, so reading the data may not be the security hotspot.  But
changing the data is the major concern, so encryption doesn't need to come
into play.

The other thing is who is going to have access to the data.  If everyone
who'll be using the data has no concept of what a database engine is, then
that might be secure enough for the application.

Good or bad design, not a debate I'm going to get into.