Thanks Ryan,

and apologies for singling your comment out from the many that suggested a
roll-your-own CLI. That last statement pretty much says it all IMHO but I
would go even further. For many it will not even be choice in future times.
There will always be those who can make their own arrangements and hedge
around the inevitable but for most it will be 64bit or nothing one day. An
above post regarding Android 32 bit platform support is one indication that
the choices will not last for much longer. I should add that it is not
entirely high on my personal wish list (64bit CLI) because I do take the
valid points made earlier that the current CLI works just fine in a 32 bit
environment.

All of that being said, I have ultimate faith in the core SQLite
development team to make the right call about when it would be appropriate
to go the 64 bit path. There would be much to consider and it should be
considered carefully as always, I'm in no rush but apparently some others
have more pressing needs. Just as I am not in a rush, I also have no
problem with the OP's request being implemented. I'm with Ryan on the warm
and cuddly approach, we might as well.

On 11 August 2016 at 10:58, R Smith <rsm...@rsweb.co.za> wrote:

> On 2016/08/10 11:35 PM, Michael Falconer wrote:
>
>> ...// Ryan is very
>> right about the relative ease of such exercises but IMHO wrong that it
>> suits all, or even most cases.
>>

> Just to be clear - if my post wasn't, I never advocated against the 64-bit
> CLI or that making it suits all, I very much supported the OP in the
> request (and still do) for some of the reasons Michael mentions here. All I
> said was that right now (until it is supplied), if he needs it as much as
> claimed, rolling his own is not all that hard (and certainly not a useless
> skill).
> I do not agree with the notion that the 64-bit CLI "shouldn't be
> pre-compiled because it's easy to do it yourself" - if that was true, why
> supply the 32-bit even?, or indeed ANYthing pre-compiled?
>
> To reiterate: 64-bit is the new thing - let's embrace it!

Regards,
     Michael.j.Falconer.