Hi there,
My name is Damien Lindley, and I am, among other things, an independent,
hobbiest programmer. I have been blind since birth and thus all my computer
work relies on screenreader software and keyboard.
I have only just come through the brink of scripting into compiled programming
and so I guess I am still a beginner in many respects. However I don’t work in
C or C++, so most of my programming, if using a library, relies on precompiled
static or dynamic libraries. Or of course libraries that are written or
converted specifically for the language I work in (FreeBASIC).
Recently, I decided I needed to create a piece of software that could manage
family trees, since there seems to be a lack of screenreader accessible
genealogy managers out there. I was advised the best way to do this is to use a
database engine. I was also informed that SQLite is always a good choice for
databases.
I must admit, I have never worked with databases before and so now I am in the
process of learning SQL. However looking at the programming API for SQLite I
cannot see any means of password protecting the database without either buying
a commercial extension to do this, or recompiling SQLite with the
authentication extension. Due to financial constraints and unfamiliarity with
compiling in C both of these are not an option for me. Also I need a secure way
to do this, as I think I read that the SQLite version simply uses a table to
store the user data, which of course can be read and accessed elsewhere.
Are there any other options available for doing this?
Any help appreciated.
Thanks.
Damien.