> On Oct 8, 2016, at 12:56 PM, Richard Hipp <d...@sqlite.org> wrote:
>
> Databases that use functions in the WHERE clause of a partial index
> will be unreadable by any version of SQLite prior to 3.15.0.

Yikes! This would be good to call out in the docs.

> Why can't you statically link against the SQLite 3.15.0?  What compels
> you to use whatever version of SQLite that iOS has built-in?

Code size of mobile apps. (To be clear, these are apps shipped by developers
using our library, not our own apps.) Yes, SQLite is only about 1MB of code(?),
but those megabytes add up, and mobile developers have told us they’re mindful
of app size because it can act as a deterrent to people installing an app over
a cell connection. So if we can tell them “our library is only 1MB of code!”
that sounds a lot better than “…2MB of code!”.

That said, using the system SQLite library is apparently no longer an option in
Android N. And for developers wanting extra/redundant encryption we support
SQLCipher, which gets statically linked of course. But I think most of our
developers are still using the system SQLite library.

I’m not saying this is a blocker for our using this feature; but it’s a factor
to consider. Thanks for the info.

—Jens