-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 27 December 2003 16:19
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [sqlite] Sqlite & COM/EXE server

> Hi,
>
> I've used SQLite in a variety of COM situations without problems.
>
> What is your application environment (asp/client-server/desktop)?
> Is your COM EXE written in VB?
> Are you using a custom DLL to interface to the SQLite DLL?
> How is your COM EXE threaded (free/apartment/single)?
>
> I've used the SQLite VB DLL from Pivotal (download from the Yahoo files
> section) without encountering any of these problems.
> The only reason why you would need to delve into DCOMCNFG is because you
are
> either running the EXE from ASP or from a Service.  In which case, you
would
> need to make sure that the launching user of your EXE has correct
> permissions to launch/access your objects.  Equally, the EXE will need
> permissions to the directories where SQLite writes its temp files.

The EXE must have a desktop when it wants to create Windows, in MS WIndows
a lot of code is creating invisible Windows, only Interactive Users are
allowed to do
so, there about is the problem with out of process COM-objects and services,
forget the exact how and why, but maybe this helps to find the answer

Bert Verhees

It is very rare that you would ever want to create windows from within a COM
EXE - the whole point of such a beast is to provide object services to your
front/back end, not normally to provide user interfaces (that's where OCX's
come in).
Also, your assertion that you cannot do this is incorrect - if you create a
window within a COM EXE that isn't set to interact with the Desktop, then no
user can see it, that's all.

The permissions issue is a commen problem for ASP applications that
instantiate COM EXE - these EXEs run with the default DCOMCNFG rights unless
otherwise configured, which are pretty onerous.

Steve