Hannes Roth wrote:

I don't want to publish that table I used to make that benchmark. So I created some random data:
http://dl.magiccards.info/speedtest.tar.bz2

$db = sqlite_open("speedtest.sqlite");
$result = sqlite_query($db, "SELECT * FROM speedtest WHERE text5 LIKE '%a%'");

include("MySQL.php");
$erg = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM speedtest WHERE text5 LIKE '%a%'");

MySQL: 0.13727307319641
SQLite: 0.17734694480896

I took your data and loaded it into SQLite and MySQL databases. Then I create a script file that contains 100 instances of your query. Here is what I get:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] bld]# time mysql drh <speed1.sql >/dev/null

real    0m25.585s
user    0m18.290s
sys     0m1.960s
[EMAIL PROTECTED] bld]# time ./sqlite test.db <speed1.sql >/dev/null

real    0m22.993s
user    0m13.870s
sys     0m9.120s

So in my test, SQLite is a little faster. Perhaps the difference might be in a bad implementation of the SQLite bindings for Perl, or perhaps the "mysql" command-line shell is less than optimal.

-- D. Richard Hipp -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- 704.948.4565