Thanks for the advice Ulrik!

I don't believe, however, that the alternate query you purposed using BETWEEN
is quite equivalent to what I was going to do. I am storing intervals [begin,
end) in the database and then looking for those intervals from the database
that intersect [x, y) - not those intervals contained by [x, y). A subtle, but
important, distinction in my application.

In any case, your information about SQLite's use (or lack there-of) of a
(begin, end) index is certainly helpful to me. Clearly I need to use the
EXPLAIN command and see if I can decipher what SQLite does under various
permutations of the query.

--
William Hachfeld  ([EMAIL PROTECTED], 651-683-3103)
SGI Debugger, Object, and Performance Tools