Speaking as a wrapper writer myself (VB Wrapper), I too don't need or make
any use of the column names but I can see where they might be being used by
other wrappers e.g. ODBC/ADO/OLEDB.

It's a convenient way for these guys to pick up field name bindings from
select statements i.e. it saves them having to parse the select statement to
determine the names of the returned columns.

e.g. for ADO

set objRecSet objConnection.execute("select * from table1,table2 where
table1.id=table2.id")
objRecSet.field("table1.id").value

If the full_column_name pragma is set, then SQLite gives back unambiguous
column names but if it isn't , then the wrapper writer would have to figure
out the location of the field by parsing the select statement and creating a
column name lookup for the returned columns.

I think that's the problem isn't it?

Steve