Just another suggestion to the problem which I use my self.

I use a single SQLite database for each client. Hosting the database collection on a bastion host as close to the client as I can get it. Therefore no client/server connection used.

I then use a daemon which reads all the client SQLite databases in turn, and writes them to a central DBMS, as well as writing information back out to the client SQLite databases. (My central database in my case is MySQL because it's client/server and has a better locking model.)

I also use the Linux /dev/shm directory to store these bastion databases. Which reads/writes about 200 times faster than a uncached disk. Although this is erases when the server reboots.

This gives dramatic performance and low load on the central database :)

Ben

Andrea Giammarchi wrote:
Eugene Wee wrote:

Not at all (if I correctly understand what you're trying to say).
For example, there exists a SQLite extension in PHP (which comes bundled by default in PHP5, but currently does not support SQLite3).

pecl, PDO extensions allows PHP to use SQLITE Version 3.X too :-)
http://it2.php.net/manual/it/ref.pdo.php#pdo.drivers

andr3a