Jay Sprenkle wrote:

You might also consider NOT saving the image data in the database.
I've always found it better to save a path or URL in the database and store
the image in the file system. (Unless you're searching for things
in the image data itself and not just searching for an image using other
fields as keys)

Thanks Jay. I think I found another solution that works -- see my post in reply to Peter. As to not saving the image data in the database, that is what we are doing on the production server. The images are in the web server's document root. This exercise is for my benefit, to play with multimedia databases and learn PHP and web application building. It is tough work for me, but I'm learning and I know I have a long way to go.

Bob