I vote for the cleaner API changes even though they are
not 100% backwards compatible.  Alternatively you could
have a brand new step function, leaving the old versions with
the same functionality.

With the recent numeric/integer/division change, the working
check clause and this proposed API changed shouldn't the version
number should be bumped to 4.0.0 to indicate incompatibility with
past versions?

http://farechase.yahoo.com