Iulian Popescu wrote:

Thank you very much, but this will require to modify the library as far as I
understand. I would rather not do that, is that any other less intrusive
way?
Iulian,

I wasn't suggesting that you modify the library. It is an open source program. I was suggesting that you "appropriate" some of the source that is used to implement functions similar to what you are trying to do, and incorporate it into your application. The functions in shell.c use the library APIs in the same way as your application. Copy the useful stuff out and modify it to do exactly what you need to do in your own application.

It seemed like a good place to start to me.

HTH
Dennis Cote