Hi,

I am currently running some tests to decide whether to use sqlite, and bump into some strange behavior. I compiled sqlite 3.3.4 from source and installed it on a solaris 8 on sparc without any updates. I run the same scripts (which insert 1000 entries without BEGIN/END block), on the same machine, but in different directories, getting totally different results:

###
# In the "db1" directory:
###
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/db1$ time cat /export/home/ykphuah/test.sql | sqlite3 test.db

real    3m53.708s
user    0m0.710s
sys     0m2.140s
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/db1$ time cat /export/home/ykphuah/test.sql | sqlite3 test.db

real    3m48.267s
user    0m0.590s
sys     0m2.120s
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/db1$ time cat /export/home/ykphuah/test.sql | sqlite3 test.db

real    3m48.435s
user    0m0.630s
sys     0m2.100s
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/db1$

###
# In the "db2" directory:
###
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/db2$ time cat /export/home/ykphuah/test.sql | sqlite3 test.db

real    0m12.523s
user    0m0.650s
sys     0m1.960s
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/db2$ time cat /export/home/ykphuah/test.sql | sqlite3 test.db

real    0m6.296s
user    0m0.490s
sys     0m1.720s
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/db2$ time cat /export/home/ykphuah/test.sql | sqlite3 test.db

real    0m6.264s
user    0m0.470s
sys     0m1.750s
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/db2$

I am really puzzled as to why there's so much difference in the time to execute the same script on the same box just in different directories, thinking that it might be placement of the directories in the physical disc itself causing the fsync calls to differ so much?

Is there any way where I can provide more information to help you guys help me?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Phuah Yee Keat