Jay is correct here, only use a blob if you do not want to search on that
field. Your example may not be best suited to BLOB but that is for you to
decide.

We store medical test data as a blob. This is not much more complicated than an
array of C structs. However we have a primary key field, a test type field,
date field and patient foreign key field in the same table, which we will
perform searches on. When we find a record we only want to read out the binary
dump of the test data into RAM for our software to interpret and display/print
in user readable form.

i.e.

CREATE TABLE Test
(
TEST_ID integer PRIMARY KEY AUTOINCREMENT,
PATIENT_ID varchar(15),
TEST_TYPE integer,
DATE timestamp,
CONTENT blob
}

DISCLAIMER:
This information and any attachments contained in this email message is
intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed
and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from
disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of this message is not the
intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the
dissemination, distribution, forwarding, or copying of this communication is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please
notify the sender immediately by return email, and delete the original message
immediately.